- We purchased 6 shells and 12 inserts to start with just to get a feel for them, and although we only use 2 covers and 4-6 inserts a day, there is not enough to use them full time unless we constantly do laundry (which we already do anyways)
- We use disposables at night time due to absorbency factor. With Palmer going 12 hours through the night without a diaper change, disposables just seem to hold (a lot) more. I am doing research as to what may work best for overnight.
- We use disposables for various "going out" occasions, depending on what the outing is, how long we will be, time of day (close to bedtime we will use disposables)
My thoughts so far on cloth diapers:
- They are in no way more "gross" than disposables.
- The amount of garbage our house produces has drastically decreased since starting cloth diapers. I don't get the oh-please-don't-let-this-bag-rip terror while carrying it down the stairs!
- Cloth diapers are super cute! Palmer has been wearing less pants this past week!
- There is NO smell at all when Palmer is wearing cloth. No soiled smell. No urine smell!
- We have yet to have a single blowout! No more poop-stained monstrosities and the OMG how did it get on your neck problems anymore (Hopefully I'm not saying this prematurely as its only been a week, but I can honestly say, we use to have a blowout a week)
- I really have had no problems with our new cloth diapers. There have been times I put a brand new disposable on and the tab rips off and I have to get another one - waste of $0.22!