3 September 2013

Day One.

I went back to work today.

I was having mixed feelings about it the past few days. I thought I was really ready to go back, back when we had decided I was going to return. As the days to my return became fewer and fewer, I was questioning whether it was the best idea. On the other hand, 7 months is a long time to be away from work. We are fortunate in Canada to get the choice to be home for that long, so I am grateful for that!

Last night was one of those nights where your head is thinking far too much to fall asleep. There I laid, watching the time for what seemed like hours.

It was one of those mornings where you wake up just minutes before the alarm clock. Too few minutes to allow for more sleep but too many minutes to get up and start your day.

Yes. It was one of those sleeps.

But, I got up. Got ready for work and walked out the door. At 6:30am.

To my surprise, there was a "happy first day back to work" gift waiting for me in the garage in front of the Escape.

A new bike! Thanks to Mitchell, Palmer and my mom.
What a great start to my day! It sent me off to work with a huge smile on my face.

Work, well, it was work. Same thing I remember it as. A friend told me yesterday it was just like "riding a bike, a rusty, smelly old bike"

That's exactly what it was. I jumped right into it like I had never even left. Funny how I worried about it being different. Other than a few minor changes, it was exactly the same as when I left 7 months ago. I even go to have lunch with 2 of my favourite people - Palmer and Mitchell. And, to my surprise, the time went by rather quickly and I was home again with my little family before I even realized how long I was away for.

Plus, Palmer did her first crawl today! Slightly disappointed I missed it, but so happy for Mitchell that he got to experience one of her "firsts." He missed so many in the past; I'm so glad he got to see her crawl for the first time!

And I guess spending a whole day playing with Daddy tires a little girl out....

Happy Tuesday Everyone!
post signature
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory


  1. Yay for surviving the first day! Do you do 12 hour shifts? At the hospital I work at, we do. It's hard to be away from the babe for that long, but it's nice having 4 whole days back at home with her. :)

  2. Jennifer, our hospitals does a mix of 8 hour and 12 hour shifts, depending on what floor you work on. My floor does 8 hour shifts. Although it means working more, it also means I get to see Palmer every day vs not seeing her on the days that I would be working a 12 hour shift. I could see how it would be so great to get a whole 4 days off though!