13 January 2015

Our Road To Potty Training

I'm hoping I am not jumping the gun here by saying this, but I think we are almost ready to toss the diapers!

Now, I am not going to claim to be any kind of potty training expert here, but seriously, in a matter of just a few days, we got Palmer basically trained at home!  I knew it was coming soon and I happened to have a 4 day stretch off from work then Mitch started his 2 weeks off from work over the holidays. I figured this was the ideal time so we thought we would give it a whirl.


We used the old naked-at-home trick and it worked wonderfully. Aside from a couple little dribble accidents on the floor, Palmer rocked it. She hated the fact that I didn't put pants on her while at home for 4 days besides at nap and bed time, but she got use to it, and got use to using the potty.

I didn't anticipate how hard it was going to be for me! Seriously. Emptying the singing duck potty every 2 minutes. No exaggeration here, folks. I'm not sure if she just dribbled out a pee that often so she could get her jellybean or if she legit had to go, but this girl was keeping me busy, for sure! And following her around with a mop every so often... This mama didn't have time for anything but pee over those 4 days, which is fine with me if it means diapers are a soon-to-be distant memory.

Now, Palmer is good about letting us know. We have got a "big girl potty" (a seat that fits onto the toilet) on our main floor bathroom, which is SO. MUCH. EASIER. (for us), and she has no issues using it. We have had very few accidents over the past few weeks and I am confident we are on the right track. As of now, Palmer is only wearing diapers while she sleeps, and I think we will cut out the one at nap time very soon.

We are lucky too that we have a day home who is willing to help train her, considering Palmer spend the majority of her days there while we are working, we truly would not have been able to make it work out if we didn't have that.

So, I'm hoping we can have Palmer all trained before she turns 2 next week and we can be virtually diaper free!


I wanted to share a few tips with you all; ones that we found to be helpful. (Again, I'm obviously no expert here...just my opinions)

1. Don't get upset if your child has an accident. They are learning and it will take time. Getting angry may only make it worse. Instead, say "It's ok. Accidents happen" or something along those lines.

2. We brought the potty into the living room for easy access. When Palmer had to go, it was right now and not having to navigate our way through the house to the potty was so helpful. Every few days we would move it further and further until finally we just had it in the bathroom.

3. I set a timer for 15 minutes. When that timer went off, we tried using the potty. She sat there for a few minutes and if nothing happened, we would try 15 minutes later. Once she had success, we waited about 30-45 minutes and started the timer thing again. I found that 15 minutes was a good enough window to allow her to play and not get frustrated with having to sit on the potty too much.

4. We cheered! We had dance parties. High fives. We celebrated. In the beginning it was every. single. time. Made her know she was doing a good job. Now, I thank her for telling us when she has to use the potty. I think it was helpful. She knows she is doing it right.


Any other tips out there for mama's looking to start potty training?
What worked for you? How did you know the timing was right?






No comments :

Post a Comment