19 June 2013

Bringing Baby Home

I’m trying to do this in some kind of chronological order, so I am attempting to remember details from 5 months ago.

Palmer came home from the hospital on my birthday, January 23, after spending 2 nights there. We were kept the extra day to make sure Palmer was eating well enough to go home. The doctors and nurses were concerned because she was nearly 5 weeks early, but Palmer surprised everyone (mommy and daddy included!) Palmer spent about an hour in the NICU getting assessed after delivery and checked out super so was able to spend her nights in the room with me. Everyone commented on how she wasn’t like a typical 35 week baby!

Mitch made sure to bring home a blanket Palmer had been wrapped in before it was time to bring her home so big brother Leaf could smell it. He was a little unsure of her at first, and even to this day, I can tell he is trying to be very careful round her but I think he has warmed up to her. I’m sure in time, they’ll be best friends!

Of course, a new baby is an adjustment for everyone. I had never had a baby before; I didn’t know what I was doing or what to expect!  Luckily, my mom was able to stay with us for about 10 days which helped a lot! She helped to stock the freezer for us, did the laundry, helped out with Leaf. I’m not sure how we would have made out if she didn’t come to stay – probably would have been hungry, with a messy house and a sad pooch!
Palmer was a pretty sleepy baby for the first couple weeks (trying to catch up on the 5 weeks of sleep she missed in my belly I guess). And for the most part, has been a great sleeper ever since.  We moved her to her own room and crib at 3 weeks which definitely helped everyone to sleep better!


No comments :

Post a Comment