5 January 2016

5 Things I've Learned in 5 Years of Marriage

Five years ago today, we were on a beautiful beach in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico, preparing for what was one of the most amazing days of my life. 



Five years has brought many changes in our lives. Two kids, new careers, building a house. It has not come without challenges, but I can easily say it's been the best five years of my life and I have learned a few things along the way...

1. You have to laugh. Life is crazy. Life is hectic. Life is hard. If you can't find humour in life, expect it to be that much harder.  Laugh at each other. Laugh with each other. Laugh together. Sometimes all we can do it laugh at the craziness that is our lives. They do say, laughter is the best medicine!


2. Make time for each other. Go on dates. Take time away from things and make time together. Now, I will be the first to admit that I find it hard to leave my kids behind, especially with Charlie being so young, and having a hard time getting her to take a bottle, so right now our "we" time is cuddling on the couch in the evening watching a movie, but I know with time and as the kids get a little older, going out on dates and taking time to ourselves will help keep our marriage strong. 

3. Alone time is just as important as together time. Taking time out for myself is what helps me to recharge and be the best me I can be. Whether its taking time to go to the gym, walking the dog, or reading a book, it's important to make some time for myself. 


4. The principles of marriage are really quite simple. Love. Respect. Kindness. Loyalty. Show love and respect to each other. Say thank you. Compliment each other. It sounds simple enough, but sometimes its the most obvious things that we fail to give recognition to.  

5. A good relationship does not come without effort, and my marriage is something I want to put effort in to. You have to work at marriage. Its not always easy and it may not be perfect but its the perfect one for us.   

Together, we are a team. We are Mr. and Mrs. We are mom and dad to two beautiful little girls. Having Mitch be my partner through life is exactly what I need. Watching him be Daddy to our girls makes me fall even more in love with him every day. 

Over ten years together. Married for five. I can't wait to see what else this crazy beautiful life has in store for us!

No comments :

Post a Comment