25 February 2015

Being a Working Mama

I have said it before and I'll say it again, working full time is difficult, and throw a child in the mix and it is nothing less than challenging. Yes, I know there are many, many parents who work full time, and I'm sure they feel the same way. Feel like you are missing out of exciting things. Missing out on watching your child grow and learn. Missing out on part of their lives.


I sometimes struggle with the fact that there is, essentially, someone else raising my child; someone else instilling values in her. Obviously, I trust our day home provider and I trust that she is teaching Palmer values and respect, however, I know that some of them may be different than ours.

I am lucky enough (??)  to work shift work and still get chances to spend days at home with Palmer. Work weekends and know that she is at home with Daddy. Work nights and don't miss out on events.

It is still difficult.

It's still hard to wake up that little bit earlier, get Palmer up at 6:20am, and drop her off at the day home while I head off to work. I feel terrible getting her up that early, but it has become our routine. Do I feel sad that she is spending her day with someone else? Sometimes, yes. But I also know that I have to work to provide the best for her.

I have never questioned me working. I know I need to work and I actually like to work. I like my job, but I equally like leaving at the end of the day. I like being around other adults, but I love coming home to my baby. But, I know being at stay at home mom isn't for me. It is a hard job, being at home with your kids all day. Yes, you can plan fun activities and do fun things, but then there are tantrums, house work, nap time struggles, the physical and mental exhaustion. I don't want to feel that. I don't want to associate those negative feelings with Palmer. Do I feel those towards my job? Heck yes. Its a hard job, being a nurse. But when I am done work there, I leave it there and come home to my family; something I couldn't do if I stayed at home.

So, finding the balance between mom life, wife life and work life, yes it is hard sometimes. Its hard to juggle at times. Finding time for more stories, laundry, date nights, alone time - challenging but so worth it. I am a mother. A wife. A nurse. I love all my jobs, even if it is challenging at times.


So, here's to the working mamas. The stay at home mamas, and all the mama's in between! You are all superheros!

and, for a great read on Stay At Home Mama's, check out my girl Kristy's post!

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment